MyFootTalk.com QR Code. Scan me with your smart phone, or click to open in a new window, then scan.
Free Web Forum for Podiatrists, Osteopaths, Chiropractors and people whose lives especially depend on feet:
sportsmen, dancers, singers, actors, runners, weight lifters, jumpers, martial artists, gymnasts, alpinists, travelers, hikers, geologists and all others!

Follow us on MyFootTalk.com on Facebook
MyFootTalk.com on Twitter We got followers!
Quick Links

Tweet this page!

Home
Quick Search

Forum Home
 Forum Rules, FAQ
 Forum Announcements
 Forum Suggestions
 Humor

General Category
 Member Introductions
 Feet in your life
 Music and Musicians
 Fitness and Sport
 All about food
 All about shoes
 Free Forum, no login

Our Life
 Real Estate

Podiatry Forums
 Private Room
 General questions
 Podiatry Practices
 Patient Testimonials
 Podiatry Medicine
  Anatomy, Exams
  Bunions
  Diabetes
  Gait
  Injuries, Fractures
  Knee
  Leg Veins
  Nails
  Skin
  Surgery
  Other Topics
 Unusual Podiatry Cases
 Publications
 From Blogs
 Reviews, Links
 Medical Billing
 Career, Jobs
 Job Discussion

Medical Suppliers
 General Forum
 Medical Equipment
 Disposable Supplies
 Emergency Kits
 Personal Care
 Current sales

Computers, Software
 Computer in your office
 Computer in your pocket
 Computer in your vehicle
 EMR, Medical Records
 Practices on the Internet
 Computer Security

Our Web Store
Podiatry Books
Exercises, Training, Diets
Personal Foot Care
Walkers and Wheelchairs

Support us!

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Facts about Medical Packaging
John E. Johnson Offline
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 2, 2011 2:21:42 AM(UTC)
skywardgroup01

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Medical packaging covers different products such as peel pouches to blister packs and lidding materials.

Source a Full-Service Supplier

Packaging is one of the most critical steps in the medical device production process, especially when the products are sold as sterile products. It is good to look for reliable source or supplier before venturing into medical packaging.

Look for Versatility

Look of a packaging partner with company’s level of technical proficiency, its tooling, printing capabilities, packaging machinery, certificates and clean room environment.

Have Specifications Ready

As in all outsourcing, it is important to provide your business partner with exact specifications and sample parts or devices. Many projects run into trouble when specifications are sent to a packaging outsourcer before the product’s design has been finalized.

The contractor needs to know specific requirements for packaging including how the product will be transported and secured with the packaging, sterility issues and marketing aspects such as appearance and sense.

Remember the Incidentals

Consider how your packaged product will be shipped, stacked and stored. If not addressed at the beginning of the packaging process, you could end up with individually packaged products that are cumbersome to shelve or that do not fit into a shipping carton cost-effectively.

Dancing

3 users thanked John E. Johnson for this useful post.
Blogger on 6/2/2011(UTC), Forum Admin on 6/2/2011(UTC), Mason on 6/4/2011(UTC)
Sponsor
Press and hold the Shift key down before you click the links below to open them in a separate window and keep the forum open
Mason Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 4, 2011 6:40:59 PM(UTC)
Mason

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: John E. Johnson Go to Quoted Post
Packaging is one of the most critical steps in the medical device production process, especially when the products are sold as sterile products. It is good to look for reliable source or supplier before venturing into medical packaging.

Everything is important and related. If the product is bad, then whatever you use for packaging and ads people will buy it only once. Then you will be full of claims. Shame on you

If the products to sell are to be sterile the packaging is critical as well as the whole manifacturing process. But I would not set the priorities which stage is more important or more critical. One mistake can break the whole product down and it doesn't matter at what stage it's done.

Look of a packaging partner with company’s level of technical proficiency, its tooling, printing capabilities, packaging machinery, certificates and clean room environment.

True. There is no doubt, that without good basis you cannot produce anything good even if you are genius. One dirty room cannot provide sterile product for sure.

Have Specifications Ready

As in all outsourcing, it is important to provide your business partner with exact specifications and sample parts or devices. Many projects run into trouble when specifications are sent to a packaging outsourcer before the product’s design has been finalized.

Hm, how many examples you know when the packaging was or was not outsourced? I'm not talking about computer parts created in Thayland and packed in China or wiseversa. Or the photo sensor created in Asia, then installed here in the USA, but packed in the box imported from another country. In this case cheaper is ofter better for seller. But I'm talking about sterile medical items.

Remember the Incidentals

Consider how your packaged product will be shipped, stacked and stored. If not addressed at the beginning of the packaging process, you could end up with individually packaged products that are cumbersome to shelve or that do not fit into a shipping carton cost-effectively.

A little slower about shipping. d'oh! I remember couple purchases that I made on the Internet couple years ago. One was purchased with the Ground shipping, another one was purchased with express air shipping, which was a few times more expensive. The funny thing - it took the same amount of time to get them delivered. Why? Because instead of direct mailing with the next available plane thsi package was sent through the entire country to the central mail sorting facility, a day later it was sorted and checked out. One more day later it was finally sent to me with the next plane and it took over 3 days to get it in my house. Comparing to the ground shipping from my point of view it was much more expensive, but I, as a customer, paid for this crazy service! So who cares if not me? I paid my money to get the entire system busy and planes paid off. The Ground shipping was more simple. It envolved one car to deliver the box from the remote state to my mail facility, then one more car for the local delivery and it took a few times less money with the same amount of time used to deliver the box! It's good to say that the shipping was from the next state, but the air mail spent many hours flying around the whole country before it reached me. When I asked a question whose brilliant idea it was, I got the answer that the completely automated facility to sort the mail is located in just a few places in the entire country and it's cheaper (!!!) to send it over to the state located in 10-12 states from yours just to get it sorted. Period.

Any comments?
Paula Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 4, 2011 7:12:19 PM(UTC)
Paula

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Packaging is very important if not critical. It gives a first impression about product, tells customers and buyers about it, etc. Many tricky companies start "selling" the products a long time before it really appears on the market. And they push it out only after people are ready to buy it. They are waiting for it, they are staying at night expecting something incredible and to be first with getting it. It's real. Just look around. There are a lot of Internet pre-orders in any area: CD, DVD, Smart Phones, Computer Devices, Consumer stuff, Home Chemistry, Home Electronics, Books, TV Shows, etc, The list is endless. A cheap gray packaging can ruin the whole product. I also remember that the name can be very critical. Accepted in one country it can mean weird things in another country. I could give a few examples, but people can be disappointed when they read them here. We always understand same words in different ways and something very good in one language mean terrible thing in different language. If you don't keep that in mind trying to sell your product then you'll never sell it. Drool
Paula
Dimi Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, June 6, 2011 8:05:54 AM(UTC)
Dimi

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hi guys!

You all forgot one more thing - the package cannot be more expensive than the content! Drool

It's also not a question that it should have some optimal set of properties required for the package content.

1. As cheap as possible to avoid extra pricing the items inside.
2. Should be protective.
3. Should be light but robust enough to not be cracked or destroyed together with the content, actually it's related to 2^.
4. Should be informative to let people see what's inside.
5. Should be attractive to make people pay attention to the stuff.
6. Should be easily recycled.

Did I miss something?
Dimi