MyFootTalk.com QR Code. Scan me with your smart phone, or click to open in a new window, then scan.
Free Web Forum for Podiatrists, Osteopaths, Chiropractors and people whose lives especially depend on feet:
sportsmen, dancers, singers, actors, runners, weight lifters, jumpers, martial artists, gymnasts, alpinists, travelers, hikers, geologists and all others!

Follow us on MyFootTalk.com on Facebook
MyFootTalk.com on Twitter We got followers!
Quick Links

Tweet this page!

Home
Quick Search

Forum Home
 Forum Rules, FAQ
 Forum Announcements
 Forum Suggestions
 Humor

General Category
 Member Introductions
 Feet in your life
 Music and Musicians
 Fitness and Sport
 All about food
 All about shoes
 Free Forum, no login

Our Life
 Real Estate

Podiatry Forums
 Private Room
 General questions
 Podiatry Practices
 Patient Testimonials
 Podiatry Medicine
  Anatomy, Exams
  Bunions
  Diabetes
  Gait
  Injuries, Fractures
  Knee
  Leg Veins
  Nails
  Skin
  Surgery
  Other Topics
 Unusual Podiatry Cases
 Publications
 From Blogs
 Reviews, Links
 Medical Billing
 Career, Jobs
 Job Discussion

Medical Suppliers
 General Forum
 Medical Equipment
 Disposable Supplies
 Emergency Kits
 Personal Care
 Current sales

Computers, Software
 Computer in your office
 Computer in your pocket
 Computer in your vehicle
 EMR, Medical Records
 Practices on the Internet
 Computer Security

Our Web Store
Podiatry Books
Exercises, Training, Diets
Personal Foot Care
Walkers and Wheelchairs

Support us!

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Please Recommend EMR System for Podiatry office
John Smith Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:16:30 PM(UTC)
John Smith

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Could somebody recommend a good EMR system for our podiatry office? I tried to look on the Internet and found over 200 different systems and I bet there are more that I didn't notice. But I'm sure that there are people reading this forum using these systems for their everyday work. And I'd like to know from the first hands what system you are using, what impressions are, weaknesses, strong sides, etc? I don't want to make a mistake because once we install this system in our office I think it will be much harder to migrate a new one if we like something else. So any advice will be appreciated! Thanks!
John S.
1 user thanked John Smith for this useful post.
Dimi on 7/24/2011(UTC)
Sponsor
Press and hold the Shift key down before you click the links below to open them in a separate window and keep the forum open
DrMacy Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:32:09 PM(UTC)
Brandon Macy

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
You found only 200? You can make yourself crazy going through all the options. Each practice has its own natural workflow practices and needs, depending on the size of the practice, number of doctors, number of locations, cash flow available to purchase a system and more. do you want it just for EMR or do you want it for Practice Management as well? Some people are more computer savvy, some need to keep things as simple as possible.

As a starter, I'd recommend going to one of the larger conferences so you can spend some time at the various booths which are selling systems. They'll always look smooth and easy, but you can get a feel for what works for you. Test drive them on your own if possible.

Podiatry-specific vs. general medical is an issue. On the surface, many thing podiatry specific is better. Not necessarily so. The true idea of a system is being able to communicate with other systems (a long term goal, admittedly). If a general medical system is adaptable to podiatry where you can remove the clutter of information from other types of specialties, the it can be just fine.

With such interest in the government incentives, a multitude of companies have popped up, many of which may not be around in 2-3 years. A company with a good history is important. You must make sure the program is certified to get the incentive payments. Smaller companies may say its pending, but larger companies have the resources to get it done. WHat kind of training does the company provide you? Support after the training is done? Upgrades? conversion to ICD-10 in the works?

As for me, I had Wisdom and its predecessors since the late 80s. MediNotes for EMR since 1996. Eclipsys took over MediNotes and offered a "free" conversion for $11,000. No thanks. But shortly after that Allscripts, a very large player, offered a much better deal and one that included both EMR and PM (MyWay), so I've moved to that. There was lots of training, lots of friendly help and we went live with it 2 weeks ago. There's still plenty of the learning curve to go, but we're managing. This is web-based, which is another option with these systems that appeals to some, not others.

Bottom line is that there are no simple answers to your question. And I might add that there may be several right answers out there. Depending on the general nature of your preferences, there may be a number of programs that meet your particular needs. Whittle down the choices as best you can,then choose one which makes you feel more comfortable.

Best of luck.

Brandon Macy, D.P.M.
2 users thanked DrMacy for this useful post.
John Smith on 7/10/2011(UTC), Dimi on 7/24/2011(UTC)
John Smith Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2011 8:30:48 PM(UTC)
John Smith

Man

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DrMacy Go to Quoted Post
You found only 200? You can make yourself crazy going through all the options. Each practice has its own natural workflow practices and needs, depending on the size of the practice, number of doctors, number of locations, cash flow available to purchase a system and more. do you want it just for EMR or do you want it for Practice Management as well? Some people are more computer savvy, some need to keep things as simple as possible.

As a starter, I'd recommend going to one of the larger conferences so you can spend some time at the various booths which are selling systems. They'll always look smooth and easy, but you can get a feel for what works for you. Test drive them on your own if possible.

Podiatry-specific vs. general medical is an issue. On the surface, many thing podiatry specific is better. Not necessarily so. The true idea of a system is being able to communicate with other systems (a long term goal, admittedly). If a general medical system is adaptable to podiatry where you can remove the clutter of information from other types of specialties, the it can be just fine.

With such interest in the government incentives, a multitude of companies have popped up, many of which may not be around in 2-3 years. A company with a good history is important. You must make sure the program is certified to get the incentive payments. Smaller companies may say its pending, but larger companies have the resources to get it done. WHat kind of training does the company provide you? Support after the training is done? Upgrades? conversion to ICD-10 in the works?

As for me, I had Wisdom and its predecessors since the late 80s. MediNotes for EMR since 1996. Eclipsys took over MediNotes and offered a "free" conversion for $11,000. No thanks. But shortly after that Allscripts, a very large player, offered a much better deal and one that included both EMR and PM (MyWay), so I've moved to that. There was lots of training, lots of friendly help and we went live with it 2 weeks ago. There's still plenty of the learning curve to go, but we're managing. This is web-based, which is another option with these systems that appeals to some, not others.

Bottom line is that there are no simple answers to your question. And I might add that there may be several right answers out there. Depending on the general nature of your preferences, there may be a number of programs that meet your particular needs. Whittle down the choices as best you can,then choose one which makes you feel more comfortable.

Best of luck.

Brandon Macy, D.P.M.

Thank you Dr. Macy for your very detailed answer! Yes, I'm looking for a complete solution for the office including EMR, Patient Medical Records, Scheduling, Appointments, Chart Notes, ideally Medications, Prescriptions including Electronical Prescriptions if possible, finally Billing. I realize it's heavy for a web based system, but if it is able to keep X-Rays it would be perfect to easily access them from different offices. Also it should include the emailing system, patient notifications, maybe voice reminders, etc.

I will take a closer look at the systems that you have recommended. I guess they do the most of what I mentioned above. And thanks for noticing the Certification. That's true that many companies just promise that, telling that it's pending. I guess this market will change pretty soon after most of the companies fail the certification of their solutions. And we all need to be careful here picking the one for our practice needs.

You know, I've seen a few free systems avaialble "right away". But I was always little suspicious about "free" systems. We know where free cheese is. You can find info about couple of them here: http://www.oemr.org/ and here: http://www.practicefusion.com/ but I guess you're not interested since you've already gotten your system. I guess we'd better go with a paid solution with an appropriate support, regular updates, etc. But I'm still not sure since I'm in the very beginning of this process.

Thanks for your help!
John S.
1 user thanked John Smith for this useful post.
Dimi on 7/24/2011(UTC)
Blogger Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 16, 2011 6:30:29 PM(UTC)
Blogger

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 63 post(s)
John, have you seen this system - http://pjd.mscui.net/default.htm

Blogger, MyFootTalk
1 user thanked Blogger for this useful post.
Dimi on 7/24/2011(UTC)